A Snippet

       Tell Me Why the Stars Dance (Part 2)

.   .   .

        “Let me return to the heavens,” I whispered, brushing my fingers across the silver streams in my skin. “Please, let me go home.” 

My voice was little more than a frail whine in the darkness. Always darkness. 

“Please!” 

My knees buckled under me, and I tumbled to the carpet. Sightless, powerless, worthless. 

I pushed my knees up to my chest, fighting back my sobs. The stars had done this to me, they had cursed me. They had robbed me of my sight then ripped away my power. Theta Aquilae, the first star in centuries to be banished to Earth. I ground my teeth.

“I never wanted to hurt him,” I whispered, digging my fingernails into the hem of my sleeve. 

They wouldn't listen to me. They never did. They would never believe me. I dug my hands into my hair, letting memories of my dance through the stars weave in and out of my mind. My dance with him before… before everything fell apart. 

My chest heaved and I forced a shaking breath into my lungs. 

“I’m sorry Altair.”

There was nothing I could do to stop the sobs now. They crawled from my lips, pouring into my dark world. 

“Excuse me, can I help you?” 

A quiet voice, female by the sounds of it. I wiped my nose on my sleeve and shook my head. I didn’t want help. I wanted to hide. 

“Well, miss, the store is closing and I’m afraid you need to leave.”

“Store?” I muttered, trying to face toward the voice. “I’m sorry. I don’t understand.”

I heard a muttered sigh, and felt a hand reach down and press against my shoulder. It was soft on my bare shoulder. Warm, and a little sweaty. 

“Come along miss, I’ll lead you to the exit.”

. . . . .

If you'd like to see more posts like this then please subscribe, and if you'd like to receive my free novelette about a Jewish boy in Russia before WW1 join my email list. Just click here to do that. Comment down below if you liked this post! Thank you for your support!

Comments

Popular Posts