Short Story

 Mended are the Broken

I watched as my soldiers removed their bloodied helmets, letting them fall to the ground as the horror of the battle washed over us. I wiped the blood and sweat from my brow, hardly managing to keep my shaking legs from crumbling under my weight. The shadows were so thick, and the pain so deep. I clung to the hilt of my sword and pressed my eyes closed, unwilling to see the bodies. 

Why had I been so cursed  to live on with a grief that penetrated this deep and a fear that cried out mockery against me? Yes, I had fought, just as I always knew I would, and they had been freed. But there was no victory in this, no feast or song. My family, my king, my… I pulled away from my line of thought. I couldn’t relive this day. Truly nothing could be worse. 

“My Lord Neemoke,” I turned my head, forcing my weary eyes open. One of my soldiers stood behind me, his hand resting steadily on his bow. “The people await your instruction, my prince. With your father gone, you must lead us,” he whispered, hardly loud enough for me to hear. I opened my mouth to speak, tears filling my eyes and splattering down my cheeks. I couldn’t find a single word. The soldier departed with a quick bow, and shame of my inability crashed over me. 

Mute with grief, the agony of my loss shredding apart the remains of my heart, I forced myself to stand, pulling my helmet from my brow. Soon they’d want to replace it with a crown in its stead; I would not let them. I would not rule. 

It took every ounce of strength that still remained in my body to stand strong as I trudged toward the peoples of the three realms gathered here. It was sickening how few of them there were.  

“Peoples of the wild realms,” I proclaimed, standing on a blackened boulder. I could only imagine the amount of havoc it had wrought when launched from one of the catapults. “I-I…” I failed to keep my voice steady as my eyes fell on the still form of a lifeless girl. I knew immediately who she was, and my heart shattered. I’d cried over her for so many hours already, yet the pain could not be quenched. No longer a child, yet not quite a woman, the girl had an uncanny resemblance to her mother. My eyes could not leave the peaceful face of my beloved child as I collapsed before the crowd; the tears building to a flood inside me. 

I heard the whispers from the people, though I didn’t heed them. 

Soft, gentle fingers covered my hand. I peered up, seeing the small elf child through the haze of grief and tears. Her long white hair was pulled back in a single braid. She turned my hand carefully towards the heavens and placed in my palm a single, snow formed flower. Its delicate petals fluttered in the gentle breeze. My grief ebbing, I stared, fixated on the child’s face. 

“We can be brave,” she muttered, though her eyes brimmed with unshed tears. I clasped her hand tightly, and forced down the agony in my heart. 

“Yes we can.” Holding her hand tightly in my own, I rose to my feet. Though the world was ever in turmoil, and my pain unquestionable, I could be strong. I could rest content in what still remained and was yet to come. I could grieve later, but we weren’t safe yet. This child, so like my own daughter, needed to be safe. There was nothing I could do for my own child now, but there was something I could do for this elfling. 

“I cannot lead you as my father did,” I announced, courage filling the void that had so desolated my heart, “but I will not forsake you. Stand fast elves and elf maidens of the wild realms, this fight is not over, and we will not stop until it is!” I raise my clenched fist toward the sky. The people took up the cry, directing their own fists toward the heavens in defiance of the death around us. 

The elfling clung to my leg, her seafoam eyes braver and stronger than any of the others I saw in the mass of elves. 

A low rumbling sounded from the earth, causing my skin to crawl, and my hand to fly to my sword hilt. The people began to panic, and I knew time was short. 

“Get them out of here! None are to stay!” I shouted to the nearest captain.

 He nodded and obeyed without question, directing the people into the treeline, away from the horror that still lurched in the shadows. One of the soldiers snatched up the elfling, who still stood beside me. I watched her reach for me, but I couldn’t come to her. What was ahead was something I would fight, and I would protect her. I was stunned by the peace in my own heart as I knew the imminence of my own fate. 

The soft voice of my lost princess played like a flute in my memory, quieting even the racing of my heart. 

“You’ll protect me, won’t you Adar?” she had asked.

         I’d kissed her cheek then as I'd held her to my chest, caressing her gently in my arms. 

“Always, my darling,” I’d whispered in her ear. 

I couldn’t fathom the contentment of my circumstance, nor the peace in my heart. Whether or not I made it out, my people would; somehow I was sure of it. 

I drew my sword as the rumble grew to a roar. Pressing my helm back into place with my free hand, I steadied myself, preparing for the battle to come. A plume of smoke washed over me, coated my skin in ash. I squeezed my eyes closed for a moment, letting the darkness pass. 

The beast, a creature of scales and fire, rose before me, its hide littered with skulls and weaponry. Its jaw was scarred, and its bright yellow eyes shone out their hate. I didn’t recoil as it slivered closer, its rancid breath, putrid and foul, flaunted itself on me.

“You dare to ssstand againssst me, elf?” the creature hissed. 

I held my head higher, refusing to answer such a vile creature. It reared back, offense and loathing gleaming in its gaze. I didn’t look away. Some hearts and minds had been driven mad by a dragon’s gaze; I cannot fathom why the same fate did not befall me. Unless, perhaps, the hope and peace that the elfling had given me outweighed the despair of the dragon’s eyes, which tempted me. 

“Very well, elf. If thisss isss how you choossse to die, let me not keep you from it,” the wretch taunted. 

I stood my ground, unchanged in my resolve. The dragon shrieked in rage and plunged toward me. I sidestepped, feeling the heat of his breath on my face as he moved past me. He landed with a thud that could’ve caused an earthquake. I charged toward him, the steel of my blade flashing. 

Our battle rattled the rocks, shook the moon from her hiding place, and forced the sun to descend to hers. The night closed it, starlight draping over my bleeding, weary body. My sword had shattered, although some of the blade still clung to the hilt. I gripped it firmly, my breath ragged and wheezing. 

“Not ssso great are you now, elf,” the dragon gloated, though his own breath was pained, and a rivulet of blood wove its way down his scaly brow. Gasping for air, I raised my sword aloft, letting the moonlight weave its way from the broken shards of crumbling blade.  The dragon lunged a final time, and my sword pierced its skull. The dragon writhed, screaming its pain. With a mighty jolt of its head, one of its sharp teeth found its mark in my chest, instantly tearing through my armor. 

All breath escaped my lungs, as blood filled my mouth. I watched the dragon finally collapse, its accursed life brought to an end. I slumped to the ground, my fist uncurling to reveal the wilted petals of the snow-like flower. In my bloodied palm it stood out in stark contrast. 

Ragged breaths escaped my lips, as my eyes searched the bodies. A smile spread across my face as I remembered the little girl who’d escaped all this horror, given me the flower, and was at last freed. My people were free, and I was given rest. As my gaze danced from person to person, they landed at last on the closed eyes of my child. 

“I’ll see you soon, my princess,” I muttered to her, just as darkness crept into the corners of my vision. Though my life ebbed away, I found no fear, no anger, just peace. I took my last breath as I slipped from the world…

-------

I reached my hands out, feeling the earth yet not. My fingers glowed like starlight, and my body was free of pain. The sound of laughter, joyous and glad, swept me up. I knew that voice, like the gentle running of a stream; its peace and love washed over me. I leapt to my feet, as my daughter ran to me. Her silvery being shining with the radiance of the sun. I held her to my chest, my laughter mixing with hers. 

Hand in hand, we walked toward the stars, heading for the eternal lands our Creator had made. 

-------


    If you'd like to see more posts like this then please subscribe, and if you'd like to recieve my free novelette about a Jewish boy in Russia before WW1 join my email list. Just click here to do that. Comment down below if you liked this post! Thank you for your support!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts